SENIOR MANAGEMENT EXECUTIVE with over thirty years of successful international and domestic experience within companies ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 corporations. Drawing upon my financial, decision-making, organizational, and cross-functional interpersonal skills, I have developed innovative solutions to complex business issues in a variety of industries. I thrive in challenging situations that allow me to use my proven leadership and analytical abilities to contribute to bottom-line profitability.
- Coordinated and completed merger with multi-million dollar public company within six months. Managed due diligence, participated in negotiations, developed reports for S.E.C. submission, and all related M&A requirements.
- Coordinated and completed successful Canadian IPO for high-tech start-up and its S.E.C. registration in United States. Researched and resolved complex issues differentiating Canadian and U.S. Securities Laws which ensured timely compliance with both sets of regulations.
- Initiated and established first financial reporting and data processing policies and procedures for property management division of $32 billion Transamerica Corporation. Installed new methodology for personnel reviews that resulted in significant improvement of employee productivity and morale. Streamlined all operations leading to 100% enhancement in efficiency and 90% reduction in staff overtime.
- Started two businesses and grew them to profitability in less than two years. Targeted market niche for management consulting practice, focused on high-quality customer, and built practice exclusively on referrals. Established upscale women’s retail apparel store, controlling all purchasing, financial, and marketing functions while monitoring daily operations. Grew annual sales volume from zero to over $400,000.
- Developed audit guidelines and procedures, for world’s largest offshore drilling company, to assess firm’s compliance with newly enacted U.S. legislation. Trained audit staff to follow redesigned methodology, and planned and led completion of operational and financial audits in the divergent business environments of four continents. Presented results to Audit Committee of company’s Board of Directors and convinced Board to adopt recommendations to insure compliance.
- Designed and conducted numerous seminars in the United States and Europe on a wide variety of business issues attended by over 1,500 participants. Seminar on business planning, management, and delegation given highlighted recognition in USA Today and Vogue Magazine.
- Installed and implemented new accounting system for America’s only predominantly Black, Catholic University to address poor cash-flow situation jeopardizing federal funding. Resulted in immediate one-time $2 million increase in operating cash and an additional $4 million annually, improving operational cash flow by 50%.
OMEGA RESOURCES, LP, San Rafael, CA & Santa Fe, NM
2002 to Present
Provide consulting CFO services to small and mid-sized companies. Project Manager of the Sarbanes-Oxley implementation for XOMA, Ltd. that included development of the Policy & Procedures Manual, internal control testing, process redesign and training. Also worked on SOX projects with a REIT, a market research company, and a technology company.
CALYX & COROLLA, INC., San Francisco, CA
1998 to 2001
Executive Vice President/CFO
Recruited to complete a merger/acquisition; completed within 6 months; redesigned financial reporting; developed goals, objectives and training for call center operations; managed IT operations and implementation of new catalog management system; developed and implemented new employee benefits program and safety program.
CONSULTANT, San Francisco, CA
1993 to 1998
Implemented computer conversions, reviewed and developed business plans; designed financial operations, reporting and systems for private companies entering the public arena, served as Interim CFO for non-profits and start-ups; managed HR and IT functions.
TRANSAMERICA REAL ESTATE MANAGEMENT COMPANY, San Francisco, CA
1990 to 1992
Vice President, Operations/Controller
Recruited to restructure all financial operations for this division of Transamerica Corporation. Streamlined operations, developed and instituted company’s first “Standard Operating Procedures,” and led training company-wide on all new systems. Insured timely preparation of over 60 sets of financial statements and 120 government reports within fifteen days. Played a key role in company’s new business development efforts.
AMTRONICS ENTERPRISES, LTD., Vancouver, Canada and New Orleans, LA
1988 to 1989
Chief Financial Officer
Successfully performed a variety of financial functions for this start-up company, organized to develop and distribute imaging technology worldwide, including serving as its Corporate Secretary and Treasurer. Assisted in developing firm’s prospectus, coordinated its Canadian IPO and registration of company’s American arm, and led financial reporting for Canadian and U.S. operations insuring regulatory compliance in both countries.
MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT/ENTREPRENEUR, New Orleans, LA
1981 to 1988
Founded management consulting practice providing small- to medium-sized businesses, principally start-ups, with advice and assistance on financial and operational issues. Clients covered a wide diversity of industries, and I grew the business to profitability strictly on client referrals, focusing on excellence in customer service. Concurrently, started Zasshi, Inc., a woman’s retail apparel store serving an upscale clientele. Led all aspects of development and operation, and grew sales to $400,000 annually in less than two years.
OCEAN DRILLING AND EXPLORATION COMPANY, New Orleans, LA
1978 to 1981
Senior Auditor/Manager, Chairman of Management Information Policy & Procedure Committee
XAVIER UNIVERSITY, Comptroller, New Orleans, LA
1976 to 1978
CHEVRON OIL COMPANY, Internal Auditor, New Orleans, LA
1970 to 1976
KMPG PEAT MARWICK, Auditor, New Orleans, LA
1969 to 1970