Graduated: COLUMBIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY – Orange Beach AL Bachelor of Science Occupational Safety & Health Engineering
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL –Atlanta Georgia Advanced Safety Certificate
Safety Engineer with thirteen years’ experience in the Petroleum Refining Industry:
- A thorough, overall knowledge of safety engineering practices/procedures, with emphasis in safety process management for the petroleum refining industry, including training, accident investigation/research, quality control, equipment/chemical monitoring, troubleshooting, and personnel training/education.
- Proven expertise in maintaining the safety and quality control of multi-million-dollar equipment and it’s
processes, with a successful track record in thoroughly investigating/researching industrial accidents/hazards and providing effective, workable solutions to management based on valid conclusions.
- Successfully completed 24hrs “Accident Investigation and Root Cause” training.
- Successfully completed 16hrs “Bloodborne Pathogens” training.
- Successfully completed 24hrs “Shipyard Competent Person” training.
- Successfully completed 40hrs HAZMAT Technician Training
- Successfully completed 40hrs National Safety Council ‘Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene” training.
- Successfully completed 40hrs National Safety Council “Safety Training Methods “training
- Successfully completed 40hrs National Safety Council “Principles of Occupational Safety & Health”
- Successfully completed 24hrs American Management Association “ Interpersonal Skills for Management” training
- Strong supervision/training, with a solid background in educating employees in safety/operations.
- Effectively communicates at all levels, with the ability to relate to the diverse functions of the organization.
- Excellent writing skills, with experience in writing 250+ operating procedures for FCC unit.
- Attend on-going courses/seminars for professional development in the areas of public speaking, management, and conflict resolution in a 25-hour Professional Development Program, as well as courses in Advanced FCC Training, PSM Procedural Writing
- Computers: Familiar with IBM PC using Windows 95, Microsoft (Word & Excel), and WordPerfect, as well as customized company software for tracking and procedural guidelines; Internet and e-mail.
Reliability Co-ordinator for Rotating Equipment, and M.O.C tracking and closeout. Process Operator in Process Safety Operations, and Process Safety Management for HOVENSA Corporation. Maintained the safety and quality assurance of multi-million-dollar oil refinery equipment and process operations in the Dimersol, Amine/SHU, and Utilities areas, including cooling equipment, air compressors, nitrogen compressors, nitrogen-making skids, gasoline stabilizing towers, re-boilers, chemical injection process pumps, propane dryers, and heat exchangers. Monitor the process variables and makes necessary corrections/adjustments in the refining operations to ensure and maintain safety levels. Work to a strict schedule; Log daily entries; Prepare lab analyses; ensure compliance with applicable industry safety procedures and quality assurance standards. Implements safety/security measures; Investigates problem areas and compiles written reports to management regarding safety deficiencies and violations, as well as methods to correct problems; Handle follow-up to ensure corrections are properly implemented; Provided hands-on training to new employees; Ensure all safety equipment remains in operational order.
1991 – 2003 HOVENSA L.L.C FORMERLY H.O.V.I.C – St. Croix USVI
Safety Engineer. Process Operator/Process Safety Operations & Process Safety Management
Administrator Company’s Yearly Safety Incentive Programs
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- At HOVENSA.LLC/ Participated in all Safety training and presentations. Administrator of Safety Awards Program. Acted as a troubleshooter for areas of plant in the investigation of industrial accidents/hazards; Determine causes and make written recommendations to management; Maintains an exemplary record in investigations and received numerous incentives/bonuses for initiating concepts that were implemented by company and that significantly increased overall safety operations during my two years as Co-chairman of the Joint Management Labor Safety Committee.
- Designed and administered Safety program that was significant in the reduction of HOVENSA’S O.S.H.A Recordable Incident Rate by 50%.
- For ten years, maintained a perfect safety record with no hazardous accidents.
- Was member of the team that wrote the company’s operating procedures for OSHA Process Safety Management Standards, as well as assisted in the implementation of the standards.
- Work Experience (Prior to 1979): Licensed Welder/Hygrade Structural Steel Corporation in Brooklyn NY (1977-1979).
- Welder/Fabricator (1979-1990) with Carlan Manufacturing Corp Bohemia Long Island NY, promoted from welder to Quality Control Coordinator within 5 years.
- In all positions, received continual recognition and commendation for excellence in job performance.